Johns Hopkins Radiothon

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The One Man Band

As promised, the video of Jack playing various instruments is below. I still can't tell if he'll be into music or if he just enjoys being a ham and having an audience. Either way, it makes for good entertainment for us!

I also meant to update on his sleep situation. After 1.5 weeks of trying the "go back in every time he cries" and the "let him cry it out" methods he's back in our bed. We tried letting him cry but he would cry for 2-3 HOURS, yes - hours, straight. It was affecting his eating, his mood, etc. I felt like all it was teaching him was that he couldn't trust that we were always there for him. A friend of mine recommended a series of 2 books called the "No cry sleep solution" so I went to the library and found them. I hope to dive into reading them this weekend but at first glance I think it will be a better method for us. Sadly, I think that we broke some trust with the crying it out. Now Jack gets horribly upset if I leave him in the crib when I shower and get dressed. My thought was to invite him back into the family bed, give him lots of love and snuggles and get back to where we were and start again with a new and more gentle plan. I know people will think I'm a softy and maybe that's true but after seeing him go through so much early in life I just can't watch him cry all night like that, especially if there is a better way.

On an unrelated topic, I had been having trouble brushing Jack's teeth lately. He's turning all boy and doesn't want me to brush his hair either! Anyway, I had this crazy idea and got him a head for my Oral B rotating toothbrush. He LOVES it! He especially likes to turn it on and off. He even lets me brush the molars! What a crazy boy!

Hope you guys like the videos of the 'one man band'.....

3 comments:

Gina said...

I don't believe that you can spoil a baby. Give Jack all the love and snuggles. When he is away at college... you'll miss him:)) We never let Chloe cry herself to sleep. I did everything possible against advice. I would rock her to sleep and I still give her a bottle. As a baby, I immediately held her when she would cry. Follow your heart and follow your own advice. Now Chloe is a very good sleeper and I don't think I did any damage at all:))

amy said...

I think you're allowed to be something of a softy Vic! Love the video- he's adorable playing the piano! Give my love to everyone!

Unknown said...

i have to agree with everyone and with your own comment vicki, Jack has been through a lot in his younger days.. SPOIL that kid rotten, let him sleep in your bed, in all honesty what is the harm? he needs you guys. He'll grow out of being in your bed when the time is right for him. Right now he still needs all that love and snuggles and reassurance that you are there for him, he's still a baby. I think once he starts talking and you can have a conversation with him he can stay in your bed! enjoy it, he'll want his own big boy bed too soon!